Please note I am not currently accepting custom orders.
I get asked fairly often if I take custom orders. The short answer is "not often." The longer answer is a bit more complicated, and takes into account the following considerations:
- I want to be fair to every customer, so I don't want to be selective in which custom orders I am willing to accept.
- I don't want customers to have to wait weeks or even months to receive their order.
- Custom orders prevent me from making as many products for the weekly updates and individual spindle lotteries. Many customers with slow internet connections or who can't be on for the Saturday updates rely on the stalk free passes and lotteries to be able to purchase spindles.
- Custom items can take much longer to make than non-custom items, especially if the customer has a unique idea or specific vision (e.g. emailing back and forth to determine what is actually possible vs. what the customer wants, having to remake it if it does not meet the customer's expectations, etc.). The longer it takes to make the item, the more it affects #3 above.
- Making too many custom items limits the time I have to create and test my own new spindle designs.
The past few times I have taken custom orders, I received over 50 orders in the span of a few days. With this level of demand, the only feasible way to take custom orders with consideration of the points above is to limit the number of orders via a lottery. So when I do take custom orders, that is how it is done (e.g. randomly accept 10 orders out of those submitted), and I do not take orders outside of those times. I apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.
Each time I take custom orders, I will post in my group on Ravelry when the orders can be submitted. If I am currently taking custom orders, please read below for important information regarding these orders.
If I am currently taking custom orders and you would like to place one, send an e-mail directly to email@example.com. Please include as much information as necessary, including the following:
- Type of spindle
- Type of wood(s) (CLICK HERE to see which woods are currently available for which types of spindles)
- Approximate length (standard length is 10 1/2 to 11 inches)
- Approximate weight if that is important to you
- A sample image of any design you would like to have added (the cost will be lower if you supply the design than if I have to create the design myself)
- Your Paypal e-mail address
If you have no preference in one or more areas, let me know. Please be as specific as is necessary depending on what you would like to receive. If your request is for a Teacup with a burl whorl, for example, I will assume any burl will suffice, so if you only like specific burls please mention it in your request. If you instead would like to leave most of the creative process up to me and are only concerned with having a contrasting whorl and shaft, for example, let me know that as well. Please note that if you desire a particular weight, I will try to get as close as I can but I cannot guarantee an exact weight because once the spindle is removed from the lathe to weigh it, I cannot always ensure it is balanced once additional material has been removed to decrease the weight. I generally do not require a deposit except in rare circumstances, such as when wood needs to be special ordered and will not be used otherwise. Once I receive your order, I will send you an e-mail with any questions I may have and the cost of your order. If you need to change your order after it is placed, please let me know ASAP.
When your order is finished, I will send you an e-mail to let you know your order is finished. Payment is due within two weeks of the invoice date. If payment is not received within two weeks, your order will be cancelled and the finished items will be sold in a store update (i.e. you will forfeit your spot on the customs list). Your order will be shipped after payment is received.
When requesting your custom order, please keep in mind that variation is inherent in handmade items, especially those made from figured woods or which are hand dyed. When making a custom item, I use the best materials I have on hand (e.g. the most figured burl or the whitest holly) and craft the item with the same great care and attention to detail as any other. If you have a specific vision for your custom item, please be very specific in your request and I will do my best to meet your expectations. If the item does not meet your expectations, I will sell it in a store update and make one additional item. If that item also does not meet your expectations, your order will be cancelled to prevent other customers' custom orders from being delayed.
I reserve the right to refuse custom orders. Please note that designing a good spindle is often a compromise between function and aesthetics, and some designs that may look great simply cannot function well as a spindle. Some designs may also be beyond my skill to make. I also reserve the right to use design elements from your custom order in future Woodland Woodworking products. Custom spindles should not be assumed to be one-of-a-kind items.
Spindles range in price from $50 (for basic Russian style spindles in common woods) to $120+ USD depending on the wood(s) used, the type of spindle, and any painting, pyrography or carving. Bowls range from $35 for a basic flat-bottom spinning bowl to $100+ depending on the style of bowl and the wood(s) used. I combine shipping on multiple items and offer a small discount on spindle/bowl sets.